Working from Home? Claim Home Office Expenses as an Employee

The self-employed among us have being writing off home office expenses for decades. Now, the Government of Canada is letting work-from-home employees do the same. If that’s you, why not claim as many home office expenses as possible on your personal income tax return! As our federal government points out, “deductions reduce the amount of income you pay tax on, so they reduce your overall income tax liability.” Who ever thought we’d be saying: “Thanks, CRA!”

You’ll find full information at, where it states: “All salaried employees and commission employees can claim: electricity, heat, water, utilities portion (electricity, heat, and water) of your condominium fees, home internet access fees, maintenance and minor repair costs and rent paid for a house or apartment where you live. Commission employees can also claim home insurance, property taxes, lease of a cell phone, computer, laptop, tablet, fax machine, etc. that reasonably relate to earning commission income.”

Hope that helps!


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Copyright 2024 by the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton. All Rights Reserved.
Data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton.
The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS® and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA. The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA.